Thursday, October 15, 2009

Scandalous Sweet Potato Pie

First thing that came to my mind when I took a bite of this pie was wholesome. It just felt so good and comforting. This delight of a dessert is not just yummy but healthy as well. Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A (betacarotene) and Vitamin C. "Both Vitamins A and C are powerful antioxidants that work in the body to remove free radicals, this free radicals are chemicals that damage cells." I made this pie for my friend Nupoor who has been there for me in all the seasons of my life.

Ingredients
3 large sweet potatoes cooked and peeeled
1 tablespoon of Cinnamon
1/2 cup of hot soy milk
2.5 tablespoons of oil
4 tablespoons of warm water and 3 tablespoons of Ener-G egg replacer(optional)
3 cups of brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 unbaked pie crust ( I used Mrs. Smith's pie crust)

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the oil in the hot soymilk, and add to the sweet potatoes. Beat until soft and creamy.
3.Add the egg replacer, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and nutmeg to the sweet potato mixture, and mix well.
4.Pour the filling into the crust, and bake for 30 minutes.

This recipe is from Raphael Rettner's cookbook with some of my own replacements and tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment